Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Scotch Chix Diss Edradour? Not I. Not Yet.


I had the chance to read The Scotchchix Blog. I have yet to try the 12 year old, that is the Edradour, of course.



However, I tried the Edradour Old Rhum Agricole Cask, which I found amazing. For those who know, the Scotchchix only allow "team members" to comment on their blog. This is understandable, but a disappointment until permission granted, if ever. I had hoped for the opportunity to politely quibble. It is unclear how one earns enough esteem to become a "Team Member." I provide my tasting notes, below.

The Scotch Chix only refer to "DC Scotchchick" as having a less than fond "revisit" with Edradour, so to speak. I intend to revisit the above selection. However, I succumbed and purchased the Edradour Takaji Finish on a whim. I look forward to revealing the source. One day, I'll try the 12 year old, but I am less than enamored by the youngsters.
I will not infringe on SC's copyrighted masthead. It incorporates a photograph of my favorite malt glass, the Johnson's Whisky Tot. This whisky glass is available at the Malt Advocate Website's Marketplace for $25 per glass. The glass is effective at getting the dram on the most desirable part of the palate for tasting Malt.

This following is a reply to the above post for those who are sympathetic to some of the Edradour Casks put out by this quiant distillery:

As stated, I tried the Edradour Old Rhum Agricole Finish with the Chicago Scotch Malt Whisky Meet Up Group last week at Duke of Perth. They are a great bunch for Scotch afficionados in search of comraderie and the perfect dram. I usually prefer Talisker, so I also imbibed the Talisker 18 year old. To the Scotchchix, I am proud to stock one of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society Leith selected Highland Park Cask bottles. Therefore, there must be some palate left in me. HP, for Scotchchix fans, now seems to be a favorite.

Michael Jackson rated the Edradour 12 year at 81. He labelled the color of that product as "full golden." He also nosed it as "peppermint" and "minty-clean" to the palate. The Edradour Distillery's home is in Perthshire, which is located in the South Highlands.

The Edradour Old Rhum Agricole Finish at DOP was particularly memorable to me in a favorable way. It appears bright yellow. I felt that I may have nosed lemon rind or citrus, but it was sweet like honey to the palate. This Edradour dram was the second of two drams for the evening. It also followed the DOP fish and chips. I am tempted to buy a bottle. However, this encourages me to do a double take for the exact vintage, since Binny's has the 1996, which may be the only vintage.

No comments: